Law enforcement agencies have used police canines for over 100 years. The use of police canines started in 1938 with bobbies, police on patrol in England. In the 1970s, the use of dogs in law enforcement took a foothold in the United States. Now they are considered a vital part of the law enforcement community, and in many departments, they even have their own badges, just as our Menifee canines possess.
The Menifee Police Department K-9 Unit began in 2020. Currently, the K-9 Unit consists of two teams. The K-9 teams are tasked with searching for articles, narcotics and wanted suspects. Each canine specializes in multiple valuable skills, and they continually train to maintain the proficiency needed to be successful and safe. Continual training and practice are done to ensure the safety of officers and the public. The Menifee Police Department K-9 Unit is committed to safe and effective techniques and engaging with community members.
Properly trained police dogs assist officers with searching buildings and areas for unauthorized persons. In addition, they help track dangerous criminals that are fleeing, or assist in tracking and locating lost persons. Their sense of smell also helps law enforcement search for hidden explosives, narcotics and evidence of crimes.
Police are often faced with criminals fleeing from serious crimes and arrests. Police dogs assist by pursuing and apprehending with minimum force, protecting the police K-9 handler, other officers and the public.
Properly trained police dogs give law enforcement officers one of the finest non-lethal aids in preventing and detecting crime.
The Menifee K-9 Unit continually engages in partnerships with the community. Both teams have attended approximately 25 public demonstrations at local schools, nonprofit organizations and pre-planned events. Pre-planned events have included National Night Out, Red Ribbon Week, Walk to School and Coffee With a Cop. It is the goal of the Menifee K-9 Unit to continue positive interactions through community engagements and public demonstrations.
The specific purpose of the Menifee K-9 Foundation is to raise and secure funds, materials, labor and supplies for the following reasons:
- Medical care for the police canines after retirement
- Support of community educational programs that the K-9 detail undertakes, including promotional and educational aids, and award materials and supplies
- Acquisition of training materials and equipment
- Educational support for members of the K-9 detail
- Support and sponsorship of annual community events so that the public can meet, speak with and photograph the K-9 detail
- Promotion of the K-9 detail to positively influence children, teenagers and adults
- Any other activities in support of the Menifee K-9 Foundation detail that the Board of Directors deems appropriate